Wednesday, 17 February 2010

Stac Polly, Edinburgh

Stac polly is a trio of well-known restaurants in Edinburgh serving traditional Scottish food, first one opened in 1990 on Dublin street.
  
We had booked a table on their Grindlay street restaurant for dinner, on valentine's day. To be honest, I wasn't quite sure what to expect as I had heard many different stories of their so-so food, slow service and non-existing heating.
 
Amuse-bouche, vodka and martini jelly started off our meal...
and was followed by baked filo pastry parcels of finest haggis served with sweet plum and red wine sauce that was quite strong for my taste, but still an enjoyable dish.
Pan-fried supreme of salmon, fresh pea and mascarpone cake and wild mushroom sauce was a comforting combination of flavours, fish perfectly cooked.
Chocolate fudge cake and creme caramel ice cream served with coffee syrup was the course that tipped me over the edge. Yes, once again, I ate too much. So much, in fact, that I had trouble sleeping that night...
It was a very satisfying meal all in all and I would go back, for sure. Any complaints? They could probably turn up their heating a notch as I found it quite nippy and Mr Lovable's steak was not cooked the way he wanted. Other than that, what a lovely restaurant.
perfectly paced service

real scottish restaurant

old fashioned feel

8-10 Grindlay street, Edinburgh, EH3 9AS - 0131 229 5405
Stac Polly (Grindlay St.) on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment