Wednesday, 24 March 2010

Gilded Lily, Carlisle

There seems to be limited options if you fancy something a bit nicer to eat in Carlisle town centre. I wanted to treat myself for lunch in David's Restaurant, but to my disappointment it was closed so I walked back in the rain to my second restaurant option, Gilded Lily.
I was given a table right beside the open fire and a menu that had everything crammed in: sausages&mash, fajitas, steaks, tapas, burgers, pasta bake, jacket potatoes, lamb cutlets... you name it, it's all there.
I fancied something light for lunch and ordered smoked salmon and asparagus from their lunch specials menu, making sure that it was indeed a main course. I also got overly excited about the orange&liquorice cheesecake, but was told that it had been replaced by another flavour.
When my plate was placed in front of me all I could think of was: 'where is the rest of it?!' Three spears of asparagus and one poached egg is not a main course! It was excellent, but more like a starter size.
Without the strawberry and balsamic cheesecake I would have left hungry, so I could say that the pudding saved my meal. Gilded Lily is, in my opinion, a tad overpriced with the waiting staff being strangely nervous and service a bit on the slow side. But everybody else seemed to enjoy their meals, the decor is just fantastic and atmosphere relaxing, so I would probably pop back in again.
must see ladies toilets

stylish, funky decor

real fireplace

6 Lowther Street, Carlisle, CA3 8DA - 01228 593600

No comments:

Post a Comment